A challenge for home makers

7/10/11  at 8:39 AM
My plot in Caledon Penzance
My plot in Caledon Penzance

I have just taken over a rather attractive spot in Caledon Penzance (a Victorian themed sim). Penzance is commercial but, being on the outskirts of town, I think I can have a more residential build. The land is 1024 sqm (and it is pretty square - ) and 468 prims. I would not want to invest more than 200 of them in the house itself, and preferably less.

I would like a fairly solidly constructed building - no flimsy walls and attention paid to alpha texture - I HATE having trees seemingly bursting through the walls or even windows of my home!


Umgebindehaus in the Hauptstrasse in Oybin
Umgebindehaus in the Hauptstrasse in Oybin

And I have long had a yen to possess an Umgebindehaus- a very special style of rural architecture that I came across on the German/Czech/Polish border, in thearea around Zittau. I think, surrounded by a garden, a small Umgebindehaus would look very nice in that corner.

An Umgebindehaus converted from a former mill in Schirgiswalde
An Umgebindehaus converted from a former mill in Schirgiswalde

I sometimes feel that builds in Second Life follow homogenised styles. This is not to degenerate the people who produce them - there are some fabulous builders of all styles. But a great many Victorian homes are wooden Pacific Nothwest style, for example. I'd like to see some of the more unusual but beautiful architectural styles brought in to Second Life - and we can make a start with the very attractive Umgebindehaus - if designers accept my challenge!

So, here is the challenge. Can you build me an Umgebindehaus (or very similar, but appropriate) that would fit into the plot, and is less than 200 prims?

My plot in Caledon Penzance
My plot in Caledon Penzance

I will set a deadline of 1st August for designs (and models; even finished builds that can be sold). And I will feature entries on this blog before choosing a winner!

And if people like this idea, pehaps we could have challenges to create further homes utilising more unusual styles.

No comments: